Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Transitioning Stateside


Culture can be defined as "all learned behavior which is socially acquired." Eugene A. Nida 
Culture shock can be defined as “the disorientation resulting from the removal or from the distortion of the cues, signs, rules and regulations that govern social interaction.” Pat Hile 
Culture shock is something I heard a lot about before going to Nicaragua. It is also something I was praying to work through knowing it affects everyone at some point. While there are many things about the Nicaraguan culture that surprise and shock me, I do not think I have gone through deep culture shock- as in major disorientation not understanding the culture. There have definitely been moments I did not understand what was happening and other moments where I was frustrated for being in a state of confusion. However, it has not been overwhelming. So naturally I was due for some shock after 5 months and coming back to the States, I certainly experienced some major reverse culture shock…
For me it began with too many…. Too many emotions about coming to the states. Too much relief to be back in the arms of my dad. [Naturally I started crying.] Too many lanes and cars. Too many choices for everything… food/resturants/gas/socks/cheeses. Too much information on the news. Too much hurt from leaving my new family. Too many questions that I don’t have answers for. Too many changes in my heart and head to just go about a “normal” day. Just too many.
It makes since and it’s textbook. But the thing is there’s no 6-steps to instantly overcome reverse culture shock. Yes, there are plenty of tips to overcome and re-adjust to life in your “host” country. They take time. Time to relearn how to behave and talk (I found myself speaking Spanish to lots of people accidently). Time to remember that the extra stuff isn’t bad. Time to remember the relationships are what matter- wherever you are. Time to not be scared to call the States “home.” Time to reconnect and be patient while everyone else has changed just like me.
While I still haven’t gotten used to AC everywhere- I keep a sweater with me at all times- I have finally readjusted nicely. I don’t want to curl up in a ball and cry quite as often. I get to talk to friends back in Nicaragua enough to not feel completely left out. Like I said, the work still goes on, and God has been up to some pretty awesome stuff down there! But I am genuinely happy to be here, in Fayetteville, Tennessee with my wonderful grandparents! They are doing well and have adjusted to having a third person in the house again. I’ll share more about our activities soon.
It wouldn’t be a complete blog post without a song, right?! So I’ll leave you with this and a prayer.

Christy Nockels- Sing Along
From babies hidden in the shadows
To the cities shining bright
There are captives weeping
Far from sight
For every doorway has a story
And some are holding back the cries
But there is One who hears at the night

Great God
Wrap Your arms around this world tonight
Around the world tonight
And when You hear our cries
Sing through the night
So we can join in Your song
And sing along
We'll sing along


From the farthest corners of the earth
Still His mercy reaches
Even to the pain we cannot see
And even through the darkness
There's a promise that will keep us
There is One who came to set us free

Great God
Wrap Your arms around this world tonight
Around the world tonight
And when You hear our cries
Sing through the night
So we can join in Your song
And sing along
We'll sing along

So let Your song rise
And fill up the earth
Let Your hope ring out
Let Your heart be heard
(x2)

Great God
Wrap Your arms around this world tonight
Around the world tonight
And when You hear our cries
Sing through the night
And we will join in Your song
And sing along
We'll sing along
We'll sing along (x6)

Dear our Great God. Thank you for holding us in your hands and wrapping us in your arms. We need you.  Your love, compassion, truth and justice. Please continue to hold the world together. Please intervene like only you can to provide peace and truth in a time with lots of hurt and destruction. I especially thank you for holding my family and friends all over the globe. Praying we sing loud enough for the world to notice You.
More info on culture shock if you’re interested: http://www.ovc.edu/missions/msb/culshock.htm#fn1

No comments:

Post a Comment