Thursday, July 24, 2014

The Happs

that stands for happenings :)


36 days ago I left Jinotega. It was a little sudden as the plan was to stay in Nicaragua through December. However, the needs and opportunities that God has provided over the last 36 days have proven I am right where I should be.
The Mist covering the mountains the day before I left.
¡Ciudad de las Brumas!
I flew straight from Managua (the capitol) to Atlanta where Dad picked me up on Thursday. Friday the young professional group from church spent the day at Six Flags. They even let me come tag along. I love that group of friends and roller coasters; so it was a solid day! 
Our whole group. My how I've missed these friends!
I'm not sure if I can explain how much I love swings!!
Saturday morning was Momma time. We hiked Stone Mountain together. In Jinotega, I am used to being surrounded by mountains, walking around the city often and hiking a fair bit too; things I was already missing. So it was nice to be outside and seeing a mountain top view of Atlanta. 

Sunday was spent at church and catching up with dear friends. My church family at Snellville is such a blessing. I love the singing, the lessons from Mr. Harold, our young professional class and the welcoming smiles. But with so much love in one place, it was part of the too much category that made the transition hard. (See previous post for more explanation.) I was having a hard time letting myself feel “happy” about being in Atlanta knowing I came to the States to be in Fayetteville. Also, so many things change in 5 months, that I felt a little lost and out of place. [[Please know I say this to explain my awkward actions. No one ever said or did anything to make me feel out of place. It’s just how the reverse culture shock was working.]] I got to end the night back at Stone Mountain with one of my best friends, Jami, watching the laser show. Just sitting back, laughing and singing along was definitely peaceful.
Got to try TacoBell's breakfast with Jami too.
I had been waiting since February!
 Monday I hit the road for Fayetteville. It was a very good drive on a beautiful day with lots of time to dance and sing in the car like a goofball. I made it to Gran and Grandad’s just in time to help make dinner. Being in the kitchen with Gran is one of my favorite things! We laugh while I try to learn all I can from her. Gradad taught me about some of the best of Andy Griffith. Before the night was over, we took a selfie in the window to mark our first evening together.
Grandad said, "Well this is kinda stupid,
but if it makes you two so happy, let's do it again!"
In the weeks since then we have spent a few days in Huntsville visiting doctors. Thankfully Grandad has continued to receive good reports. Right now he’s just over halfway through a new round of chemo and handling it very well. Praising God for that daily! We have also spent a few days working around the farm- fixing Gran’s garden beds, trimming trees, preparing the most efficient water system for the cows and trying to get ride of our mole population. Daily we see to the animals... Right now we have 1 cat, 20 cows with 5 calves (ish), 4 guienes, 1 rooster, 1 hen, 1 peacock with the 3 babies, 3 wild bunnies and 1 extra cat that is trying to get comfortable with our porch. We actually just let the peacocks out this week! They’ve been growing under the watchful eye of Gran and their mother in the pen but got to meet the great big world…
Before and after in the front flower bed.
And our fence line has trimmed trees too-
which is really just any excuse for me to drive the 4-wheeler!!
This little calf was born about a week after I got here.
TOP: just an hour old
BOTTOM: 3 weeks old
The baby peacocks venturing out into the world for the first time.
Momma Peacock thrilled to be able to fly!
Grandad is definitely an extravert (Dad comes by it honestly). So when he is in good health, he’ll often say, “Well Helen, think we ought to go visit ______ today?” And off we go! We never know who is going to come to mind or where a day of errands will take us, but I love it. 
I even got to make a visit to Huntsville for time with Kelly!
There’s a part of a TobyMac song that has been running through my head the last few weeks. 
So speak Life, speak Life.
To the deadest, darkest night.
Speak life, speak Life.
When the sun won’t shine and you don’t know why.
Look into the eyes of the broken hearted;
Watch them come alive as soon as you speak hope,
You speak love, you speak…
You speak Life, (oh oh oh oh oh oh) 
[You can listen to the full song HERE]
That has been my aim over the last few weeks, to speak Hope, Love and Life. Not just to my grandparents but to all people I interact with while I’m here. These first 36 days have a great blessing and time of learning. I do not know how much longer I get to stay, but I plan on taking advantage of all my days with family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment