Sunday, June 16, 2013

Intro to the Havens


June 13 and 14.
These couple days were spent getting used to the Havens. Most of Thursday was with the toddlers in 2. Lots of outside time to run and play. Except these babies were still sleepy so Prince (aka Pri) just stayed in my lap and did not want to walk or go anywhere. It was comforting to know I had plenty of time to just sit and play with sand with Pri. Some days at home life is so rushed I do not take time to be until I’m falling asleep. I’m hoping that is a habit I break while I’m here.

Each night we do dinner rounds… 5:00 Porrige in Haven 1; 5:30 Shima in Haven 2; then 6:00 Porrige in Haven 3. The best part of dinner is singing with the Aunties while we feed! They are so full of spirit that it pours out through songs. Tongan songs are just full of life that it’s contagious.

Friday was Haven 1 in the morning while the Aunties had training. They were learning about infant massage and they practiced with some of the babies while we watched the others. It was a little chaotic but a lot of fun. I’ll go ahead and admit changing nappies (cloth dippers) is not as easy or enjoyable as changing disposable dippers! I got to spend time with the Aunties playing with one room (8 of the babies) and folding laundry. Shima, a cornmill/grit type mix that is cooked until it is very thik with some side of greens, is the staple meal in Zambia. Most days we will eat this for lunch with the Aunties. It really is pretty good- even if it is fairly bland- as long as you don’t get too much!! I made a mistake of not keeping an even ratio of greens to shima and got an extra HEAPING helping of greens. I was getting so full, but it was our first time eating with the Aunties, and I didn’t want to be rude. I asked Kelly, “What do you do when you can’t eat anymore?”  Kelly replied with a smile, “You keep eating.” We all finished our plates even though all of our stomachs hurt because it was too much. At least now I know. Even Ratio!

While it was nap time at Haven 1 we went to Haven 3. We played there until dinner rounds. We come home and had a quick family dinner before dashing to the Meritts for singing night. Singing here is just full of volume… Stellar! Also, hearing the young boys sing and seeing their smiles is just perfection! We talked, played nerts and laughed until it was really late. Again: perfection.

All I can think is beyond blessed! To be here. For new friendships. For the Spirit being in our conversations. For our perfect babies. And for a wonderful support system.

No comments:

Post a Comment