Thursday, March 27, 2014

Harding Visit Harding Visit


No I did not go to Arkansas this month, but on Monday, March 9th the Harding Spring Break group came to Jinotega!! Whoo! Lots of people who had never been here before but a few who had. And a few I knew very well! Needless to say I was counting down to their arrival!
Caroline and Diana were my suite mates my last semester at Harding.
It was an incredible blessing to share a week with them!
After being Dillon's intern at Riverchase a couple years ago,
seeing how he continues to grow into a man of God is a joy to watch!

We stretched our comfort zones reading in Spanish and
trying to talk to them about what they were reading!
So proud of the groups for jumping right in!
The week was very different for me because I got to join in with the groups activities! I went with one of our translators and a group of 4-7 people each day to a school in the morning and hospital in the afternoon. At the schools we brought a big box of book and a bag with some games. The schools here do not have many books at all- if any. That includes textbooks. So we have a mobile library that we take out and let the children practice their reading skills by reading to us. The books are all in Spanish or bilingual. It was a great break from being in the office for most of the last few weeks. I loved getting to talk to the students and teachers. The students ranged from 4-12 years old. While most of them are totally shy at first, normally they open up, start giggling and tell you everything they can about the book or picture. It was nice to have a conversation with someone who I understood too! My Spanish is coming. It’s definitely better than it was two months ago. (Yeah. Crazy. I’ve been here two months.) However, I still have so much to learn, and when I am talking to adults, who have a full vocabulary, I struggle through conversations. But a three year old who wanted to talk about colors and animals-- we were on the same page!
Paublo, a student from Pita de Horno, made me smile all morning!
One of the reading groups
In the afternoons we visited the pediatric ward of the hospital in Jinotega. A translator went with us and someone to minister to the families. While we played with the kids who could leave their beds, Louisito talked to the families and gave out Bibles. The first couple days there were a lot of kids. But when we went on Friday there were only a 2-3 children that were still there. Most all of them had gone home on Thursday- Praise! Friday was also hard because there was a new patient there and within a few minutes of us being there 5 doctors and nurses surrounded the child’s bed. The mother went out into the hall, got on the phone and started wailing. It was very unsettling, and we weren’t sure what was going on for a few minutes. We thought the baby died, but we later found out he did not. He was just giving a serious diagnosis. The doctor expected him to recover, but the next few days were not going to be easy. Either way. We all felt uncomfortable and in the way. So we packed our games up, left a book and some play-dough for the two well(ish) children and walked back to the mission.  
This little man and Rachel played with the connect four pieces for
at least 30 minutes... They were a huge hit!
PS: most of these pictures are Rachel's. Thanks for capturing our week!

For me it was a huge rush of SO many emotions. Fear. Grief. Praise. Concern. Confusion. Hope. The last time I was in a pediatric hospital was in Zambia when we picked-up baby Jay’s body. Except this time, instead of following Meagan and Bina Mbombo, I had to make the decision. I was very thankful for the small group that was with us and how willing they were to change their afternoon plans. The prayers that were going through my mind in those couple minutes were completely due to the Spirit. I had no words. After processing on the way back and shedding a few tears, I wanted to do something with people. Earlier in the week a couple girls had mentioned getting their haircut. I told them if they went I wanted to go too!  Perfect timing because they were leaving just as I was walking in the door. So Louisito and I jumped in the truck welcoming the distraction. All three of us just wanted trims and the lady did a great job. Also, it was just $4! Sweet! I’ll definitely be going back through the year.

Rachel's excited. I'm worried. Larkin's chillin.
That weekend I got to visit Managua with the Harding group for their free day. It was nice to just relax and spend time with them. I also got to visit the volcano for the first time! The whole week was wonderful and refreshing. They brought the Spirit of God with them and shared it with so many people. I am thankful to be part of that crowd.
This is Paige. We met when her sister and I suited together 5 years ago
and got to catch up. She's now at Harding and all grown-up!
 
Harding at the Volcano.
Uber smokey and totally smelled like sulfur!

I thank my God on every time I remember you. In my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy...
Philippians 1:3-4



No comments:

Post a Comment