Thursday, January 16, 2014

December 2013


So. We’re not going to talk about the fact that I leave in 4 days yet… Let’s look back at December.
I love the month of December because it means cold weather, family time, birthdays and extra reasons to bake! This December also began goodbyes for me. I gave my two weeks notice at Kidz Academy and left December 20th shedding a few tears- I already miss my munchkins! 
Christmas visits were wonderful though. We had lots of time with our extended family and Beth got to come with us! Grandad and I laughed until we cried within the first two hours of being together. Gran let me help her in the kitchen until she wore me out. She truly is one of the most servant hearted people I know. We played rook, watched movies, visited Grandad’s childhood friends, listened to stories of Grandmother and were entertained by my younger cousins. I just sat and counted my blessings. It didn’t take more than a minute to loose count. That made the leaving them even harder.
For the last couple years, Colossians has been one of my favorite books of the Bible. Through the tearful goodbyes, I held onto Colossians 3:1-2. “If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”
As crummy as the goodbyes are, I know they are not permanent. If I was being selfish, and I am quite often, I would stay home and spend every day with my family. I’d visit my grandparents in Fayetteville and Hendersonville every other weekend. I’d get a job in Birmingham because the teenagers there are the best. But I’m trying to not be selfish. I’m trying to “seek the things that are above.” For me, right now, that means following our God to Nicaragua to serve and love on His children. It also means remembering that there will be no sad memories in Heaven. Once we are in God's presence, we won't be able to count the number of goodbyes or the number of "big moments" we missed in each other's lives. We'll just be praising God with the people around us. I have to step out of my family shell and make sure there are other people around us. 
To keep me focused on that. My goal is to memorize Colossians 3 by the time I leave. Then all of Colossians by the end of March. PLEASE hold me accountable to that! Ask me how it’s going and if I’ve been studying.
 I am a wreck of emotions this week. I am trying to sort them out as I pack not ignore them. But I’ll be honest, it’s easier to stay busy and push away whatever I’m feeling. I am so thrilled to be going but so not thrilled to leave. Please be praying for my heart and head over these last 4 days. Wow! It’s really that close!
Also. Please lift these friends and family in prayer.
-Benny Baker- the director of the mission returned to the states last Friday and is now recovering from heart surgery.
-Steve- my uncle who is in the hospital with pneumonia and staff.
-Clay- one of my adopted fathers and dad to my best friend, is also in the hospital getting his heart tested and cleared
-The Harding family as they lost two students who were so loved by many.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you went through! I'm so glad you'll be here with me. I'm glad that I'll have you to talk to and experience all these new things with.

    As I write this, I'm sitting in our hotel room in Managua waiting until I can go to the airport to pick you up. I'm probably end up going over there early because I can't wait until you get here! See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete