Sunday, July 14, 2013

Haven 2 and Baby Nelson and Jay


July 1-5

I spent most of this week in Haven 2 with the toddlers. They are full of energy and definitely keep me on my toes! On Monday, the first day I was in there, I shadowed one of the Aunties to get a good feel for the rhythm and routine of the day. Ba Beauty was very busy as all of the Aunties are. We folded lots of clothes, changed nappies, prepared meals and tea time, and spent lots of time with the kids. The changing is a funny process because everyone gets changed at once (when they wake up and before they go to sleep). They line up the toilet seats along the wall and all the kids have to sit until they go. Then we put a clean nappy back on, dress them and send them to play or to bed. They’re proud when they go, and it’s cute. After redressing them, I would stand them up and say, “Huggie.” They would smile and throw their arms around my neck!! Oh my. Best part of the day!!

While they are adorable they also wear me out. They are toddlers so they are learning how to share and make friends. Or sometimes do the opposite… steal and hit. So trying to separate them and stop the tears when someone looses a toy gets frustrating. Colossians 3 was my chapter for the week. “Set your minds on things that are above, not things that are below!” When I didn’t want to count the number of diapers or think about the pee in my skirt, I would just think, “Above.”

Joel and Ruben were the two I bonded with the most. Joel was just jabbering and laughing so much. His smile would take over his whole face. A beautiful sight. Whenever I would walk up to the haven in the morning, Ruben was the first to say, “CoCo!!” I reply, “Rubi!!” “CoCo.” “Rubi.” “CoCo.” “Rubi.” “CoCo.” “Rubi.” Hilarious. Yes, after about ½ a day of trying to say, “Colette,” I gave in to CoCo. As the Aunties say, “Simple. We like simple.”

Half way through the week, we brought one of the babies home to live with us for a while. Nelson, a preemie who is 10 weeks old, just needed some extra attention and a strict feeding schedule to help him thrive and gain weight. We each take a night and the following day staying home with him holding him as much as we can and feeding every 3 hours. I had Wednesday night and Thursday, which was a nice break from 17 toddlers. Thursday was also, July 4th! The other interns came home for lunch and we spent the afternoon napping and watching a movie.  We all wore red, white and blue to dinner, including Nelson! He is part of the family. He’s so little! Just 2.2 kg when he came home!

The end of the week was very hard. Wednesday, Jay, one of the babies in Haven 1 was taken to a hospital about 45 minutes away from Namwianga. Late Thursday night, Jay passed away. Meagan found out during the night (she had been in very close contact with the auntie that was staying with him). We found out Friday morning. I rode with Michele Broadway, a new friend who is staying with us while preparing for the medical mission, and Meagan to pick up Bina Mbombo and Jay’s body. The ride there was mixed with tears and prayers and lots of comforting. In Zambia when you’re leaving the hospital, with a well loved one or not, other visitors in the wing help you carry your belongings out. It was a blessing to see that side of community. We drove back to Kalomo and went to the mortuary. While we were waiting for the man to come unlock the gate, Bina Mbombo said, “It’s a good morning.” I looked to my left at this woman I love, who has spent the last two sleepless nights at the bedside of a baby who did not make it, and asked, “Today is a good morning?” “Yes, CoCo.” I smiled through my tears and thought, It is a good morning. Today is the Lord’s day, and I will praise Him. God made Bina Mbombo a strong woman. Wow.

The rest of the day had to continue at the Havens. Kamri and I went to therapy with Joel and Busiku. They both had great days! Some needed encouragement for us. The kids all hugged me before nap. Nsima had a side of eggs. Kelly and I walked home during nap time to get advil. Since I process through tears, there was a strong headache coming. We walked home for dinner praying and laughing and crying. Nelson was the biggest blessing that night. I got to watch him while everyone else went to singing at the Meritts. (It was outside by a fire, and Nelson didn’t need either.) We rocked, journaled and sang lots of Acapella songs. Just what the Great Physician ordered for me.

This is the song that became my prayer… Thank you David Crowder...

Here's my heart Lord, here's my heart Lord, Here's my heart Lord, speak what is true. I am found. I am Yours. I am loved. I'm made pure. I have life, I can breathe. I am healed, I am free. You are strong, You are sure. You are life, You endure. You are good, always true. You are light breaking through. You are more than enough. You are here, You are love. You are hope, You are grace. You're all I have, You're everything


[Nelson Update: After 9 days at Meagan’s house, he weighed 2.8 kg and got to move back to into the havens. We do miss him, but his Aunties were very excited to have him back :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment